NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Newtown's Beautiful Baby Contest is seeking baby photos -- newborns to 4 years old -- for its 2016 contest. This contest is a cute fundraiser to get an accessible house for a Connecticut soldier through the national nonprofit Homes For Our Troops.
This year's funds will go toward building 22 year-old Army Ranger Sean Pesce an accessible home in West Haven. Pesce was shot 13 times: one bullet severed his spine, paralyzing him.
This friendly competition is not limited to Newtown children. Here are the details:
- Photos will be posted on a wooden voting booth, with a piggy-bank above each. People "vote" with the bills and checks they insert. The child whose photo raises the most money wins the title.
- The voting booth will be at various locations in Newtown throughout May and June. Contestants' families will be emailed the locations if they wanted to vote in person.
- "Absentee voting" checks can also be mailed to the address below; indicate who the votes are for.
- One hundred percent of the money raised by the Beautiful Baby Contest will be donated to Homes for Our Troops, earmarked for Pesce's house.
- The winning baby and his or her family will ride in a chauffeur-driven convertible, provided by Mercedes of Danbury, in the Newtown Labor Day Parade. The top two babies will receive Family Fun baskets.
- All contestants and former winners can march behind a "Beautiful Babies Helping Heroes" banner. All contestants will receive a free 8X10 portrait from Penny's Portrait Studio at Danbury Fair Mall (an $18 value); a free plush Pluto, compliments of Kohl's (a $5 value), and a dental care bag from Dental Associates.
- To enter, send a $10 check to "Homes For Our Troops" and a nonreturnable 4X4 photo (cut down a 4x6), with the child's name and a contact phone number and email clearly written on the back, to Baby Contest c/o Lois Barber, 33 Zoar Rd., Sandy Hook, CT 06482.
Email email@example.com or call 203 270-8017 for more information or if you would like to directly donate funds towards Pesce's house.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.