STAMFORD, Conn. — The contractor who escaped a deadly 2011 Christmas Day fire in a house in Stamford, where he was overseeing construction, has died.
Michael D. Borcina, a former Stamford resident and contractor, died Tuesday, Oct. 3. He was 58.
Borcina died of cancer, the Hartford Courant reported.
The devastating fire in the house that was undergoing renovation in Shippan killed three sisters and their grandparents. Borcina escaped the fire with his then-girlfriend, Madonna Badger, in the middle of the night.
Her three daughters — 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah and 9-year-old Lily — and both her parents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson, died in the horrific fire.
Tiberius Construction, Borcina's company, working on the massive renovation project in the large home.
Stamford fire officials said the blaze began in mudroom, sparked by ashes from the fireplace. In statements related to lawsuits from the fatal fire, Borcina first said he put the ashes there after running his hands through them to be sure they were cool. Later, he said that Madonna Badger had moved the ashes and that he had lied to protect her.
Borcina settled a lawsuit from the girls’ father, Matthew Badger, who died last year, for $5 million. The father had said the house was a firetrap and lacked smoke and fire detectors. Earlier this year, the city of Stamford also settled, paying $6.6 million to the girls' estate.
In recent years, Borcina had moved to southern New Jersey and had helped to rebuild homes with Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity after Superstorm Sandy, according to the Hartford Courant.
Borcina is survived by his brothers Mitch and Mathew.
Calling hours will be 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 11, at Fives Patchogue Funeral Home, 326 E. Main St., Patchogue, N.Y. A religious service will be held during the calling hours at 7:30 p.m.
He will be buried at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, 3442 Route 112, Coram, N.Y.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.