NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Newtown has turned down an offer by two families who lost children during the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting to settle their lawsuit against the Newtown school district for $11 million, according to the Hartford Courant.
Attorneys for the families of Noah Pozner and Jesse Lewis offered the $5.5 million each settlement last month, the Hartford Courant reported. The town had 30 days to make a decision, which passed last week without any response from the town, said the Hartford Courant.
The $11 million amount is the exact amount the city's insurance will cover. An attorney for the families told the Hartford Courant said he is now reviewing the more than 8,000 pages of documents submitted for the discovery process.
During the shooting, on Dec. 14, 2012, Adam Lanza killed 26 people, including 20 first-graders, before shooting himself. The lawsuit alleges that a substitute teacher did not have a key to lock her classroom door and did not have knowledge of the safety and security procedures. If taken to trial, the families can be awarded much more from a jury than the amount offered in settlement, said the Hartford Courant.