NEWTOWN, Conn. -- A lawsuit against a gun manufacturer filed by the families of the Sandy Hook victims has been dismissed, according to the Connecticut Post.
Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis granted a motion Friday to throw out the lawsuit that had been brought by the families of 10 victims against the gun maker, Remington Outdoor Company, the dealer, Camfour Inc. and the owner of the store where the guns were bought, Riverview Sales, the Connecticut Post reported.
The suit, which was filed in January 2015, alleged that the guns are unfit for use by civilians and the three plaintiffs knew it. It also claimed that the company marketed the gun to civilians.
Bellis filed a 54-page decision saying that the suit did not meet the standards for exception to the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which protects gun manufacturers from lawsuits, the Connecticut Post reported.
The lawyer for the families told the Connecticut Post that while they were disappointed, they would appeal and continue to fight.
U.S. Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Chris Murphy (D-Conn) and U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty (CT-5) released a statement expressing their disappointment with the ruling.
“The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act denies victims of gun violence their fair day in court. This misapplied and misguided law protects gun manufacturers from liability even for dangerous and irresponsible practices – an unprecedented and indefensible legal shield available to no other American industry. We disagree with today’s decision and will continue our fight to repeal this reprehensible law.”
“While today is a deeply disappointing day for the families, their appeal will continue this fight for justice," said Gov. Dannel P. Malloy in a statement. "As I have stated before, the laws providing unique protections to gun manufacturers need to be changed to give crime victims a right to pursue legal remedies.”