FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Commuters and casual train riders alike should be prepared to pay a bit more for a ride on Metro-North that starts or ends in Connecticut.
A fare increase of 1 percent goes into effect Jan. 1 on the Connecticut portion of the Metro-North New Haven Line.
This is the fifth of seven consecutive annual increases requested by Connecticut Department of Transportation to help finance the new M-8 train cars.
This increase will affect ticket prices for travel between Connecticut and New York stations and between stations within Connecticut.
Some fares may not change due to rounding and the small percentage of the increase. The fare increase does not affect travel to or from stations within New York state.
For sample fares, see click here .
For example, the new fares between Greenwich and Grand Central will be $281 for a monthly ticket, $90 for a weekly ticket,$130 for a 10-trip peak ticket, and$83 for a 10-trip off-peak ticket. The respective fares from Stamford will be: $313; $100; $145; and $93.50.
New fares for other stations (monthly, weekly, 10-trip peak, 10-trip off-peak) are:
- South Norwalk: $337; $107.75; $155;$100.
- Westport: $366; $117;$167.50; $106.25.
- Bridgeport: $398;$127.25;$185;$119.
- Stratford: $420; $134.50; $197.50; $125.50.
- New Canaan: $313;$100.25; $145; $93.50.
- Wilton: $348; $111.25; $160; $102.
- Danbury: $366; $117; $167.50; $106.25.
Intermediate fares to Stamford will also change. Below are the fares for monthly, weekly and 10-trip tickets via stations of origin:
- Stamford through Rowayton: $59.25;$18.25;$23.50.
- Glenbrook through New Canaan: $59.25; $18.25;$23.50.
- South Norwalk and East Norwalk: $59.25; $18.25; $23.50.
- Westport through Fairfield Metro: $64; $19.75; $23.50.
- Bridgeport: $86; $27; $36.25.
- Stratford and Milford: $107; $34.25; $44.75.
- New Haven through North Haven‑State St: $154.50; $49.25; $63.75.
- Bethel and Danbury: $95; $29.50; $38.25.
For more information, click here .
Additional 1 percent increases will also take place on Jan. 1, 2017, and Jan. 1, 2018. As of earlier this year, all of the new 405 M-8 rail cars are in service on the New Haven Line in Connecticut.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.