As Fairfield County continues recovery efforts following Tuesday storm, what authorities described as a “near-tragic” incident involving carbon monoxide poisoning occurred when a family ran a generator inside a Brookfield home.
Four people were rushed to Danbury Hospital for treatment - one of whom had to be transferred to an out-of-state hospital for more advanced care - after running the generator in their garage.
Police also said that they have also received multiple calls involving chainsaw accidents as people attempt to clear debris from their yards.
“If wires are involved do not go near them until a representative of Eversource declares them safe to approach. Always assume power lines are energized and dangerous,” police advised. “There has been good progress in clearing roads so traffic can pass and line crews can begin the difficult process of repair was made today and will continue. Some limited restoration is possible tonight.”
As of 10:30 a.m. on Friday, 38,000 of Eversource’s 1,270,056 customers were still without power, including 6,221 in Brookfield.
“Eversource is reporting that they hope to have substantial restoration of service to much of Brookfield by Sunday afternoon, although some side roads and roads with significant damage may take longer to restore,” according to Brookfield police. In the interim, the Brookfield High School shelter continues to be open and is accepting pets.
Water containers can be filled at the Police Station on Silvermine Road, at the Pocono Road Firehouse and at the Candlewood Company Firehouse on Bayview Drive in the Candlewood Shores. Electronic device recharging can be done at the high school shelter and in the police department lobby. Schools in Brookfield were closed again on Friday.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.