Contact Us
Newtown Daily Voice serves Bethel & Newtown
Return to your home site

Menu

Newtown Daily Voice serves Bethel & Newtown

Nearby Towns

Carol Reif

Curator

Carol Reif's Contributions

  1. Milford Teen Who Stabbed Classmate To Death Over Prom Refusal Gets 25 Years

    Milford Teen Who Stabbed Classmate To Death Over Prom Refusal Gets 25 Years

    MILFORD, Conn. – A Milford teen, who pleaded no contest to charges he stabbed a classmate to death in 2014, has been sentenced to 25 years behind bars, according to a report by The Connecticut Post.Christopher Plaskon, now 18, killed 16-year-old Maren Sanchez with a steak knife after she refused to go to their junior prom with him, The Connecticut Post said.The two attended Jonathan Law ...

  2. Voters Don't Believe Clinton, Trump Promises, Quinnipiac Poll Finds

    Voters Don't Believe Clinton, Trump Promises, Quinnipiac Poll Finds

    American voters are increasingly skeptical that either leading candidate in the upcoming presidential elections will make good on certain promises, a Quinnipiac University national poll said Thursday.Republican Donald Trump has said he intends to force Mexico to pay for a wall that would keep immigrants out of the United States.He has also vowed to deport 11 million illegal ...

  3. State Police Release Memorial Day Arrest Data, Investigate Fatal Crashes

    State Police Release Memorial Day Arrest Data, Investigate Fatal Crashes

    Two fatalities were among the many traffic incidents investigated by state police over the long Memorial Day holiday, according to Trooper Kelly Grant.In the first incident, a pedestrian was struck and killed early Saturday while walking along I-84 in Waterbury.Melvin Gordils, 26, of Bridgeport, was hit by two cars on the highway’s Route 8 ramp around 2 a.m., police said.In the second ...

  4. Earth, Mars Will Have Close Encounter Of The Rare Kind This Week

    Earth, Mars Will Have Close Encounter Of The Rare Kind This Week

    Attention, skywatchers: Mars is now at its nearest to Earth in 11 years.According to universetoday.com, the Red Planet will be between 47 and 48 million miles away from now until June 12.So break out those telescopes and binoculars, the next time Mars will be this close is July 31, 2018, universetoday.com said.Named after the Roman god of war, Mars is the fourth planet from the sun.It's ...

  5. Newtown Psychiatrist Accused Of Fraud Will Pay Over $400K

    Newtown Psychiatrist Accused Of Fraud Will Pay Over $400K

    NEWTOWN, Conn. -- A Newtown psychiatrist, accused of false billing practices, will have to fork over more than $400,000 and be monitored for three years, according to Connecticut Attorney General George Jepsen.Dr. Naimentulla Syed, who has a practice in nearby Danbury, did not admit liability in making the settlement with the state and federal governments, Jepsen said Wednesday.Syed ...

  6. Tickets Sell Out For Debut Of Film On Fallen New Fairfield Soldier

    Tickets Sell Out For Debut Of Film On Fallen New Fairfield Soldier

    DANBURY, Conn. -- Tickets to the premiere in Danbury of a film about a soldier from New Fairfield and Sherman who died in action in Afghanistan in 2013 have sold out. But Live for TJ: The TJ Lobraico Foundation plans more showings later this summer in the area. (Click here for upcoming details.)Todd “TJ” Lobraico literally grew up at an Air National Guard base, where both his parents ...

  7. Fugitive, Caught In Sherman After 48 Years On Run, Hospitalized

    Fugitive, Caught In Sherman After 48 Years On Run, Hospitalized

    SHERMAN, Conn. -- A Sherman man who escaped from a Georgia prison nearly 50 years ago is too ill to finish his 17-year sentence behind bars, his lawyer told authorities, according to a fox61.com report.Robert Stackowitz, 71, was captured by U.S. marshals earlier this month at his home in Sherman.He had been on the lam since Aug. 22, 1968, when he fled the infirmary at the Carroll County ...

  8. Connecticut's High School Graduation Rates Reach Record High

    Connecticut's High School Graduation Rates Reach Record High

    HARTFORD, Conn. -- Connecticut’s high school graduation rates hit an all-time high in 2015, state officials said Monday.Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said 87.2 percent of high schoolers graduated that year, which is, he said, “significantly higher” than the national average of 82.3 percent.This is a testament, the governor said, to the “hard work of our teachers, principals, superintendents, ...

  9. Mixed Bag For Weekend With 60% Chance Of Showers In Newtown

    Mixed Bag For Weekend With 60% Chance Of Showers In Newtown

    FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Break out the raingear folks, the forecast is for a mostly wet and nasty weekend, according to the National Weather Service.There is a 60 percent chance of showers, mainly after 4 p.m. Saturday and continuing into the night, the service said.Daytime temperatures in the region will reach about 64, while nighttime lows should hit 49.There is a 40 percent chance ...

  10. Blumenthal Champions Investments In Helicopters Made At Sikorsky

    Blumenthal Champions Investments In Helicopters Made At Sikorsky

    STRATFORD, Conn. -- With the Pentagon planning to slash funding for new Black Hawk helicopters and a downturn in the number of choppers purchased by non-defense clients, lawmakers are trying another tactic in the battle to save Connecticut’s defense manufacturing industry.U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee; U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy, and seven ...

  11. Prev Page 7 of 16 5 6 7 8 9 Next
    61 - 70 of 154 articles

Welcome to

Newtown Daily Voice!

Serves Bethel & Newtown

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.