NEWTOWN, Conn. -- A 63-year-old convicted felon from Newtown was indicted on one count of armed bank robbery after police said he robbed a bank with a butcher knife in August.
The indictment was handed down by a federal grand jury in New Haven on Oct. 11 and announced Friday by Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut. John J. McCarthy, 63, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The indictment stems from a robbery that took place at the Bank of America on Queen Street in Newtown on Aug. 24. Police said that someone walked into the bank and handed the teller a note, saying that he had a gun and that if the teller called the police he would kill everyone in the bank.
After the suspect fled the bank, police responded to the area and found McCarthy, who matched the description of the bank robber and was carrying a large butcher knife, according to police. He was taken into custody and has been in custody ever since.
Daly said that in 1994, McCarthy was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Waterbury to 235 months in prison and five years of supervised release for possession of a firearm by a previously convicted felon. He was released from prison in March 2017 and is currently on supervised release.
If convicted of the latest charges, McCarthy faces a maximum term of 25 years in prison. He also faces additional charges if he is found to have violated the conditions of his supervised release, Daly said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.