Contact Us
Newtown Daily Voice serves Bethel & Newtown
Return to your home site


Newtown Daily Voice serves Bethel & Newtown

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Prevent Barbecue Disasters By Knowing Grill Safety

VIDEO: Courtesy NFPA
VIDEO: Courtesy NFPA Video Credit: National Fire Protection Association

More tasty meals on the grill beginning this Memorial Day weekend also brings an increased risk of home fires, says the National Fire Protection Association -- which released a video with some safety tips.

"Each year an average of 8,900 home fires are caused by grilling, and close to half of all injuries involving grills are due to thermal burns," the NFPA says.

In 2014, 16,600 patients went to emergency rooms because of injuries involving grills, the association says.

ESPN's Hannah Storm was badly burned while making dinner for her children at their Greenwich, CT home in 2012. Wind blew out the flame, after which propane gas pooled -- and became a fireball when she tried to re-light the grill.

Storm saved her eyes by closing them, but she sustained burns on her face, neck, chest and hands.

Gas grills contribute to a higher number of home fires overall than their charcoal counterparts.

Not cleaning grills are the primary reason -- they account for nearly a fifth of all grill-related structure fires last year, the NFPA says.

In 17%, "something that could catch fire was too close to the grill."

Leaks or breaks were also a factor.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Newtown Daily Voice!

Serves Bethel & Newtown

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Newtown Daily Voice!

Serves Bethel & Newtown

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.